|photo courtesy of Flying Fotos, LLC
Stadium, located on South Henry Street on the eastern edge of campus, is
the home of the Battling Bishop football, men's and women's
track & field, men's and women's lacrosse, and field hockey teams.
OmniGrass artificial playing surface was installed for the 2006-07 academic
year and lights for the 2010-11 academic year, making Selby one of the most impressive venues among NCAA Division
Built in 1929, Selby boasts a seating capacity of 9,100, with all seats
falling between the 15-yard lines of the field. Its press box was lauded
as "the largest in Ohio outside of Ohio Stadium." The Ohio Wesleyan
football team opened Selby with a 52-0 romp over Marietta on Sept. 18, 1929, and the
field was formally dedicated on Oct. 19 of that year, with the Bishops
defeating Miami, 20-12.
by George Gauthier, Ohio Wesleyan's Hall of Fame football coach, track & field coach, and athletic
director, and constructed by the Osborn Engineering Company (which also
built the original Yankee Stadium), the complex was named after George D. Selby, who
served the Ohio Wesleyan board of trustees for 24 years. His sons, Mark,
Homer, Pearl, and Roger, contributed $100,000 of the project's $160,000
cost. Selby Stadium recently underwent a restoration project that included
a new, 2-level press box, new bleacher seats and refurbished locker rooms.
Stadium hosted the 1988 NCAA Division III men's lacrosse championship game
and has been the site of numerous playoff contests.
Selby also houses the George Gauthier Track,
an Ameritan FP surface completed for the 2006-07 academic year. The site
of 19 of the first 26 NCAC outdoor track & field championships, Selby
is believed to be the oldest facility in the nation constructed to Olympic
specifications and remaining in its original configuration. Selby Stadium and the Gauthier Track will play host to the NCAA Division III outdoor track & field championships in 2011.
to 1929, home football games and track meets were held at Edwards Field,
the site of today's Branch Rickey Center. Football games before the turn
of the century were played in various locations. One popular site was
the hollow between present-day Phillips Hall and Delaware Run, across
the street from Selby.
Bishop men's lacrosse team played its home games at Roy Rike Field from
1965 to 1985. During the spring of 1985, field maintenance at Roy Rike
forced the lacrosse team to move to Selby for a year, but the relocation
worked out so well it became permanent. Prior to obtaining Roy Rike Field,
Ohio Wesleyan home games were played at South Field, which was located
on Henry Street south of Selby Stadium, approximately where the Bishops'
practice field is today.
The Bishop field hockey team began playing its home games at Selby Stadium during the 2006 season. Prior to 2006, Ohio Wesleyan played its home games at the Henry Street Field, located south of Selby Stadium.
Bishop women's lacrosse team played its home games at Roy Rike Field from
2004 to 2007. Prior to 2004, Ohio Wesleyan played its home games at the Henry Street Field, located south of Selby Stadium.
Directions to Selby Stadium
Back to the main Field Hockey page
Back to the main Football page
Back to the main Men's Lacrosse page
Back to the main Women's Lacrosse page
Back to the main Men's Track & Field page
Back to the main Women's Track & Field page
to the main Facilities & Maps page